Get More Out of Vehicle Wraps and Graphics: Top 6 Maintenance Tips
If you have recently purchased custom vehicle wraps or graphics, know this: taking care of vinyl is not like taking care of your car’s paint. In fact, it’s completely different.
Unfortunately, many people don’t realize this, and they take years off the life of their vehicle wraps and graphics through improper cleaning and vehicle storage.
But don’t worry: Legendary Custom Signs and Graphics is here to help. Today’s post walks you through the top 6 maintenance tips to help you get the most out of your custom vehicle wraps and graphics and avoid all the most damaging mistakes.
Top-6 Maintenance Tips For Vehicle Wraps And Graphics
- Wash regularly. They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and that’s certainly the case for keeping vehicle wraps and graphics clean. A quick daily rinse is ideal, but a weekly wash using a soft sponge and a combination of water and mild detergent will be more than enough to keep most wraps looking great. At the very least, aim to wash whenever the wrap is noticeably dirty. Allowing tar, bird droppings, grit, and grease to build up can put your wrap at risk, since you may be tempted to use excessive elbow grease or harsh cleaners to remove them.
- Store indoors or under cover whenever possible. Vinyl vehicle wraps and graphics are degraded by prolonged exposure to UV rays and harsh weather, particularly on horizontal surfaces like the hood, trunk, lid, and roof. For this reason, you should try to store your vehicle in a garage or shaded area during the day. At night, opt for indoor storage or car covers to minimize discoloration caused by atmospheric pollutants in the rain, snow, and hail.
- Dry your wrap properly. Rinse your vehicle thoroughly with clean water after washing, then immediately use a silicone squeegee to remove water. Finish with a microfiber cloth to reduce water spotting.
- Pressure wash with extreme caution. Hand washing is always recommended. However, pressure washing is possible if you follow certain guidelines:1. Ensure the water pressure is below 2000 psi at all times.
2. Ensure the water temperature stays below 180 °F (80 °C).
3. Use a spray nozzle with a 40° wide angle spray pattern.
4. Keep the nozzle at least 1 foot away from the graphic at all times.
5. Hold the nozzle perpendicular (at 90°) to the graphic at all times.
- Test all cleaning solution before applying to vehicle wraps and graphics. Choose a small, inconspicuous section of your wrap or graphic to test your cleaning solution. Clean the spot as normal using the recommended mix of water and cleaning solution, then wait for the area to dry completely. Examine carefully, ensuring that there is no fading, lifting, or cracking. If everything looks good, proceed with your wash.
- Avoid wax or similar coatings on vehicle wraps and graphics. Wax and other coatings protect your car’s paint but wreak havoc on vinyl. Never apply carnauba-based wax or any type of polish, matte or carbon fiber over vinyl graphics. These products will deteriorate the vinyl.
Custom Vehicle Wraps And Graphics In Northern Virginia
Need design, installation, or maintenance expertise for vehicle wraps and graphics in Northern Virginia? We can help.
Legendary Custom Signs and Graphics serves Manassas, Fairfax, Vienna, Falls Church, Arlington and Alexandria.
Please contact us through our website or by calling us at 571-512-SIGN (7446) for a free consultation.